The Fiction Doctor Cindy Davis
- Proofing is for manuscripts that are ready for publication. It's for when you want that final set of eyes to double check your work.
- I will read every word of your manuscript and fix only spelling, typos, punctuation, and formatting.
- Cost $1.50/page (standard manuscript format of 250-300 words/page)
- will outline your story’s strengths and weaknesses
- point out problems with plot, theme, syntax, grammar
- give ideas for deepening characters
- suggest new subplots
- provide thoughts on making dialogue more natural
- Cost: $1.50 per page (standard manuscript format of 250-300 words/page)
Manuscript development: You’ve written the beginning of your story, you might even know the ending, but just can’t seem to work through the middle. I will read your synopsis and:
- help you develop your plot, characters and theme so you can finish your story.
- make suggestions for possible new scenes
- I make no structural comments or changes on what you provide. This service is only to help finish what you’ve already done.
- Cost: $250 (Times New Roman font, size 12, double spaced)
- I will take your completed manuscript and put it into shape for submission to editors and publishers, with headers and footers, chapter breaks, correct fonts and paragraph indents.
- I will return to you as a Word document that you may forward or print.
- Cost: $0.25/page.
Editing: This service combines manuscript assessment with editing that includes:
You are free to rework. Cost for editing is determined on a case by case basis. When you contact me, I will ask your wishes for the manuscript. What do you see for its future? Do you envision it on the shelves at Borders or on a corner of your family’s coffee table? Will you seek out publication by the ‘big guys’ or will you self-publish? This information will help us shape your final manuscript. I will ask for a synopsis of your story (a roughly put together one is fine) and the first three chapters.
- story structure--scene sequel development, showing vs. telling, point of view, pacing, establishing voice, and presenting exposition.
- plot development--narrative vs. dialogue, adding subplots, finding your theme.
- character development--internal monologue, creating and exhibiting emotion, writing realistic dialogue.
- fine tuning--eliminating overwriting, adding detail, sensory images, writing compelling openings, punctuation and spelling
- formatting to standard industry requirements
- assistance with synopsis and query letter, if desired
- two full reads of the manuscript. I use both Word Tracking and Comments features. There is no limit to our association during this phase. You may contact me every day if you wish
- Please email for an estimate on your project.
Last Updated: 27 July 2017
Cindys author web site
©2003-2017 Cindy Davis
The information provided on all my pages is provided in good faith with the belief it is correct.
Nevertheless, the owner of this web site can accept no responsibility for any errors or omissions.
Each visitor assumes all risk associated with the use or misuse of information displayed on this web site.