The Fiction Doctor Cindy Davis
(listed in the order received)
- One Great Night took first place in the IDA short contemporary category for 2015! Thanks for all of your editing expertise and helping make the book shine! You're the best! :)Debra St. John, author of One Great Night (The Wild Rose Press)
- I've had previous books published by the likes of Wiley, and Harper & Row, and no one has ever done as comprehensive and on-point edit as Cindy. Very much appreciated.Phil Fragasso, author of Still Counting (The Wild Rose Press)
- Like most writers I thought I could write fairly well, trying to improve with every new book. UNTIL I met my editor, Cindy Davis. She is not only my watch-dog for grammar, punctuation and such, she urges me forward by asking key questions about my characters and story line. She keeps me in my character's head and always, always seeking their point of view. It took me a couple of tries to find the exact perfect editor for me. A professional who does editing as a full time job and not some hobbyist that call themselves an editor. Then I found Cindy She is a wonderful 'substantive' editor and inspires me to write whole chapters! NEW ones! She is indeed, the Fiction Doctor.Trisha Sugarek, Author, Playwright, & Blogger
- Thanks Cindy! I'll absolutely return to you for next year's title. Working with you on these last two books has been really amazing for me. I feel like I have a co-writer, not just an editor... even if you're a stickler for not letting me end a sentence with "down" or "for".Jason Carter, author of The Layover
- I started with what I thought at the time was a close to finished novel. I asked Cindy to take a look and provide some feedback and apply her editing skills. What transpired over the next several weeks transformed my novel in ways I had not expected. Cindy went above and beyond as she made recommendations on plot, pointed out storyline flaws, improved structure and wording and much more. I can't say enough about the effort and timely work she provided. The amount of money I paid was far too low for what she delivered. I can't wait to get my next novel to her for her outstanding editing skills. When you use her services, you will not be disappointed. Thanks Cindy and until next time,Mike Walters, author of Outlaw River Wilde
- If you're looking for an editor, stop searching and hire this woman! I've been where you are and have done my research. As a first time writer, the whole process is overwhelming. Do yourself an enormous favor and don't make it harder than it needs to be. I wouldn't touch a company offering generic manuscript editing...even if it were a penny a page. You will miss out on the experience of a one on one with a professional who is affordable, knows the industry and is a published author herself. I've learned so much from Cindy and have developed an eye for a lot of first time writer mistakes I wasn't aware of until I worked with her. I loved Cindy so much that I hired her to edit the second book in my series. Really look through her web site and her sample edits. Contact her. She's worth it.Leila Oicles, author of The Last Seeker
- Thank you so much for the edit on Good, Gray and Evil. Although I have other published works, this project "would not" be publishable without your keen insights and dogged determination to teach me to reverse bad habits. Since I'm a no-nonsense kind of person, I have appreciated this approach in your editing. Although you do insert some wit that has made me laugh out loud. Ah, yes. Those occasional moving body parts that slipped past my filter can be pretty funny when visualized! Or how about my aggravating habit to reverse actions! Maddening! Again, thank you. I can't imagine this journey without you. I'm indebted.Barbara Weitz - author of Good, Gray and Evil
- I wanted to thank you for all your help. I've learned so much from you and this experience. If I ever see another adverb again it will be too soon! But, seriously, thank you so much. You are incredible and excellent at what you do.MA Fiorello, author of Memoir of an Ugly Duckling
- Cindy Davis is the best thing that ever happened to me! She is not only a great editor but an awesome writing coach. Cindy taught me a lot about showing vs. telling, balancing dialogue and narrative, and how to pull the reader in from the very first sentence. When I first wrote the manuscript, I tried submitting it to several places and could have wall papered my bedroom with the rejection notices. After Cindy worked with me on editing and re-writing several chapters, I sent it to four publishers and waited, hoping only for constructive criticism. Much to my surprise and delight, two were interested in it! Thank you, Cindy! I grew so much because of you. You are one of those people who came into my life that I will never forget.Misty Armstrong - author of L's Mirassion
- I can't say enough good things about Cindy Davis and the way she edited the manuscript for my novel. It is a much tighter, stronger novel which I am proud to say was successfully published. I would not hesitate to recommend her and look forward to working with her again.Ernesto Patino - author of Web of Secrets
- My novella, Crucible of Dust, was originally edited by a large editing company. While their work was decent, it was very expensive and impersonal. I really wanted my manuscript to be polished, so I contacted Cindy. Right from the get go, she was personable, courteous, and gave me the impression that she really cares about what she does. The edit she performed was amazing—she caught so many things the original editor missed and provided detailed feedback to improve my writing. If you're thinking about hiring Cindy, do it! You won't regret it. <---- See, that's exactly the sort of cliche that Cindy would catch and edit out of a manuscript.C. James Leone
- "Cindy Davis is the best thing that happened to my manuscript. If not for her thorough and insightful editing, my story would never have reached its full potential. She taught me the difference in telling my story and letting my characters live it for the reader to enjoy. Her professionalism and writing skills are amazing. And her fees are extraordinarily reasonable; nothing hidden, nothing inflated – no unexpected surprises. I had no idea, writers and editors could work so well together. When I start my next book, she will be the first person I call."Michael D. Bates, author of Ghosts of Time
- Cindy Davis is the editor I wish I'd found before I did all the rewriting of my draft manuscripts. Cindy is just the right person I needed to go through my story, point out the weaknesses in my writing and coach me to create a hugely improved manuscript. She is a great communicator; honest, with an underlying sense of humor in her recommendations, and flexible in her time schedule as to when she wants revisions bounced back to her. It has been an enjoyable experience learning to improve my writing craft working with Cindy.D.C. Clark - author of Willing Escort
- "Working with Cindy Davis on my manuscript was an enjoyable and enlightening experience. She delivered accurate, specific, and clear advice in a timely and professional manner. Her help has strengthened my manuscript and made me a better writer. Because of all the help Cindy gave me with Serenade the Moon, I've sold another manuscript to Avalon. I was able to apply the excellent lessons you taught me to that manuscript. So thank you, thank you, thank you!"
Judy Zak, author of Serenade the Moon
- Cindy not only helped get my romantic novel, One Small Fib, into ship-shape but she did the same thing for me as a writer. My work is so much better—less pronouns, tighter sentences, better pacing, and more. She's patient and professional, and truly a god-send. I'm in awe of her talent and knowledge of the craft! Without her I'd still be floundering as a 'wannabe'.
- This was my first book, and after the writing was done, I had no idea what to do next. All I knew was I needed a good editor if I wanted anyone to take this book seriously. Luckily for me, I met Cindy Davis. Not only did she copyedit my book, tightening it up and finding errors I never would have seen, but as a humorist, she had tremendous ideas and interjections which made the content even funnier. My next book and every book afterwards will NOT go to print unless I have Cindy Davis on board. Thanks, Cindy!
- Cindy's edits went a long way in improving my writing. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my next manuscript, and gone are the run-on sentences and overuse of past tense "was" phrases. She is #1 in my book.Barry Ozeroff - author of The Dying of Mortimer Post
- I feel more confident now, the experience (Cindy's Mystery Writing Course) was wonderful. Sometimes, actually many times, I had to stretch my thought process, which by myself I would never have done. Like writing a sub plot ... I would never have realized the importance of having a sub plot in the main story. THANKS! I am surely looking forward to working with you in the future, it has been the most stimulating experience. Thanks for holding my hand and teaching me to walk.Sonali Chulki
- "Working with Cindy Davis on my first published novel, Dog Nanny, was a godsend. One look at her first edits told me I was in capable hands. Cindy has the rare ability to see into the heart of the story and offer suggestions for improvement without changing the author's voice or style. She's also detail-oriented, fast, and thorough. Best of all, I felt we were collaborators, that she cared as much as I did about producing a work we could both be proud of. Do I recommend her services? You bet."
Ann Whitaker, author of Dog Nanny
- "Talk about getting the best bang for your buck. Cindy put so much time and effort into my writing, and showed such care for the product, I came to trust any and all changes she recommended. However, she did a lot more than just improve my manuscript. She went out of her way to show me how she improved it, and where my strengths lay. She gave me lessons on areas I had weaknesses, such as passive voice, point of view and choice of adverbs. Afterward, she went over my query letter and gave me tips on what publishers are looking for. As a brand new writer, I appreciated that someone with Cindy’s experience was willing to take the time to teach me the things most novice writers do not know. There are many out there that are in this only for the money. I can honestly say Cindy proved to me she is in it for the love of writing. Anyone, particularly new writers, who use anyone other than Cindy Davis is missing out on the best opportunity available when it comes to improving both a manuscript and you as a writer."
Mark Rosendorf, author of The Rasner Effect
- "If it wasn't for Cindy's editing expertise, support and encouragement, my dreams of publishing Holly & the Millionaire would never have come to fruition. She truly helped me turn my manuscript into a published novel."
- "I worked with Cindy on my second novel 'Leaving the Comfort Cafe.' Not only was I incredibly impressed by her professionalism, but her manuscript suggestions inspired me to take another look at my characters – and as a result, I found myself discovering new and wonderful quirks about them. Not only was the manuscript greatly improved, but she pointed me in the direction to find the proverbial "diamond in the rough." I would recommend Cindy without hestitation to any of my writing associates."
- "I enjoyed working with and I am in your debt for your guidance and insight, particulary with regard to POV. I would recommend your services to anyone."
William Russeth - Author of Fires of Belenus
- "Cindy Davis edited my novel, The Search For Power, and my forthcoming illustrated story book novellette, Tales of Weupp: Little People Must Surrender. I found her work to be highly professional, thorough, honest, and exhilarating. She is not shy about pointing out the bad parts and she also praises the good. My highest recommendation."
Ralan Conley - author of Tales of Weupp: Little People Must Surrender & 3-time Bram Stoker Award Finalist
- "Ms. Davis delivers professional, quality editing. I wouldn’t hesitate to use her services again."
J. Ellen Smith - Publisher, Champagne Books
- "Cindy Davis is an excellent critiquer. She is honest, fair, and gives constructive criticism while keeping the author's voice. She works diligently and quickly, always open to help with any questions or problems the author may have. She is an asset to have, and I've been lucky enough to work with her on three of my own projects. She has not only helped to make my work that much better, but she has taught me things about myself that has helped me grow as an author."
Lori Derby Bingley - award winning author of The Night She Came Home,
One Eye in the Darkness, A Sister's Secret, & Lorelei
- "Cindy Davis is my recommendation for fiction editor. Insightful help where needed, and those pesky little grammar problems were fixed in a flash! Highly recommended!"
Rebecca Dahlke - author of Flying Through Forty
- "Cindy Davis has edited three projects for me so far, ranging in scope from an anthology piece to single title contemporary romance. She has the uncanny ability to understand what I’m trying to say and is able to provide a nudge, when necessary, to help me find the words. Some editors try to change the author’s voice; Cindy attempts to discover the author’s true voice."
Liz Hunter - author of A Precious Gift & Plain Jane’s Tight End
- "Cindy Davis' patience, flexibility, professionalism, leadership, sense of humor, availability, and willingness to answer any question - no matter how naive - made it a pleasure to work with her on my novel, Hearts Kept Waiting."
- "Cindy Davis reviewed one of my works, and showed me where a problem was occuring. I changed the story according to her suggestion and the book was selected for publication by the next editor to read it. I think she is very astute about her knowledge and can share it with others to good effect."
- "Cindy's editing on my young adult novel, The Book of Forbidden Knowledge, was invaluable. Her unbiased feedback let me see my writing with a fresh eye. She gave clear, concise notes on everything from theme, characters and plot down to sentence structure and specific word choices. I would gladly work with her again."
- "As a multi-published author who has worked with several editors in the past couple of years, I've come across every sort of you can think of. Working with Cindy was not only surprising, it was delightful. What serious author doesn't want that talented editor who's got it all; an understanding of what voice and style is, an eye and ear for knowing what will tighten and brighten up that scene, a professional attitude of respect toward the author? And, she makes you think, dig for what you need. If I could clone her, or kidnap her so she'd edit all my books, I'd be twice as prolific, and inspired."
B.D.Addair - (aka) Eve Asbury/Gayle Eden
- "It was a pleasure working with Editor, Cindy Davis. She took me under her wing and taught me how to fly. Her suggestions forced me to release hidden ideas and express my true desires. Her copyediting talents helped polish the craft, timing and other story elements for revision and her attentiveness kept me focused to Get-er-done. It was quite a ride and I will be forever grateful."
Ingrid Seiver - author of The Stranger On A Harley
- "As a first time writer, I found it hard to choose from the many writers and editors available. Cindy was very fast and easy to work with. Her experience helped me tackle an unusual topic I knew would be difficult to address. I appreciated her fresh perspective. With her help, I trimmed many words that weren’t needed and the result was a leaner, more readable story."
- "I really appreciate you editing my book. I loved what you did by adding more detail, description, and emotion to impact my readers. You've really beefed up my story. Thank you for all your patience and hard work! You're great Cindy!"
- "Cindy Davis conducted a thorough, professional, and efficient edit of my manuscript. Not only did she fix the mechanical errors, she gave me some fantastic advice that has definitely improved my writing style. Her attention to my very first novel showed me that she really cared. I would highly recommend Cindy for her knowledge, professionalism, and patience."
- "Cindy edited the 16,000 word youth novel I wrote with my granddaughter (Lucky Penny, in production with Guardian Angel) and just finished editing A Lone Star Special (99,000 word myster/thriller). Her view of writing covers multiple, multiple layers and she catches things I would never even think to look for. I know Cindy has made a better writer of me. If you're writing for publication and think you don't need an editor, just have Cindy look at some of your work. I'll bet you'll be amazed."
- "Thank you very much Cindy, it was great to work with you. Thanks for your ideas, enthusiasm, patience and above all - encouragement. I look forward to working with you again in the near future!"
Lenka Grant - author of middle reader Wild Willie MacKenzie
- "Cindy worked with me on my debut novel. She helped smooth out the rough spots and the finished product is something to be proud of. I don't believe the book would have gotten such rave reviews had it not been for her patience and dedication. I've learned so much about writing do's and don'ts and look forward to working with this multi-talented editor on future projects."
Angela Ashton - author of Amulet of Fate
Last Updated: 22 November 2017
Cindys author web site
©2003-2017 Cindy Davis
The information provided on all my pages is provided in good faith with the belief it is correct.
Nevertheless, the owner of this web site can accept no responsibility for any errors or omissions.
Each visitor assumes all risk associated with the use or misuse of information displayed on this web site.